skip content
homepage
what's new
sitemap
search
frequently asked questions
help
complaints procedure
terms and conditions
feedback form
access key details


Record details

BCC record ID:0000100000
Type of record:Monument
Summary:Manorial history of medieval manor of Huntercombe
Grid Reference:SU 93150 80650
Parish:

BURNHAM, South Bucks, Buckinghamshire

Monument type(s)

  • MANOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated finds: none recorded

Public access information

Is the site accessible to the public?No
Is the site visible from a public viewpoint?No

Full description

18 HIDES IN BURNHAM, HELD IN EDWARDS TIME BY ELMAR, HAD COME BY 1086 TO WALTER FITZ OTHO, ALSO LORD OF ETON WITH WHICH BURNHAM DESCENDED. PORTION OBTAINED BY RALPH DE HODENG WAS MAIN MANOR PASSING TO HUNTERCOMBS. MANOR KNOWN AS BURNHAM ALIAS HUNTERCOMBE BY END C14. (FULL MANORIAL HISTORY) (B1).

Sources and further reading

<1>Bibliographic reference: VCH BUCKS 3 PP169,177,178.
<2>Bibliographic reference: RCHM BUCKS 1 P78.
<3>Article in serial: RECS OF BUCKS 10 1916 PP438-439.
<4>Bibliographic reference: OS RECORD CARD SU 98 SW 75 AUG 1974.
<5>Bibliographic reference: DOE 1985 LIST OF BUILDINGS OF SPECIAL ARCHITECTURAL OR HISTORIC INTEREST.
<6>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1960. OS 1960 6 INCH MAP. 1:10,560.
<7>Bibliographic reference: BCM ACCESSIONS REGISTER 1973.
<8>Bibliographic reference: Beaconsfield District Council. 1977. BURNHAM & HUNTERCOMBE CONSERVATION AREAS V51 & V52.
<9>Bibliographic reference: English Heritage. 1994. Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England: Buckinghamshire. Part 4.
<10>Map: South Bucks District Council. 1977?. Huntercombe Conservation Area.
<11>Unpublished document: English Heritage. 2006. NMR Buildings Reports.
<12>Digital archive: Vernacular Architecture Group. 2004 onwards. Vernacular Architecture Group:Cruck Database.

Associated excavations and fieldwork: none recorded

Related monuments

Reports

No image caption available  © Buckinghamshire County Council

No image caption available © Buckinghamshire County Council