skip content
homepage
what's new
sitemap
search
frequently asked questions
help
complaints procedure
terms and conditions
feedback form
access key details


Record details

BCC record ID:0422701000
Type of record:Building
Summary:Fifteenth century timber-framed hall house with solar wing, extended in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries and now part of the Kings Arms.
Grid Reference:SU 95668 97325
Parish:

AMERSHAM, Chiltern, Buckinghamshire

Monument type(s)

  • (Former) HALL HOUSE (15th Century - 1400 AD to 1499 AD)
  • (Alternate) TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (15th Century - 1400 AD to 1499 AD)
  • SOLAR (15th Century - 1400 AD to 1499 AD)

Associated finds: none recorded

Protected status

  • Listed Building

Public access information

Is the site accessible to the public?Yes
Is the site visible from a public viewpoint?Yes

Full description

NO. 47 HIGH STREET: 2 STOREY BUILDING, TIMBER FRAMED WITH BRICK FILLING. BUILT 15 CENT, ENLARGED MID 16 CENT AND IN 17 CENT-19 CENT, PLAN HALF-H SHAPE. ORIGINAL BUILDING HAD LARGE HALL AND SOLAR IN W WING (B2). INCLUDED IN KINGS ARMS IN 1930S (B4).
The RCHME gives an extensive description and notes that its is especially interesting because of its remaining medieval feaures. The plan is half H-shaped with E and W wings of unequal width, projecting towards the S. The original building had a large hall of one storey with the solar at in the W wing, which was lengthened in the 16th century when a central chimney stack was added. The lower, narrower E wing was built probably early in the 17th century, when part of the hall was destroyed and the upper floor inserted in the remaining part (B3).
Wall paintings discovered in 1931 during restoration and recorded by Francis Reader. Remains of floral design painted in purple on a black background found on the sloping ceiling under the roof of the hall. On the south face of the upper floor partition wall of the west wing traces of a decorative scheme of two 1-inch wide bands of black and red bordering the plaster panels and probably originally carried around the other walls of the room. On the north side of the same partition a portion of painted frieze was found with white arabesque-style decoration on a black background, including a central basket of foliage flanked on each side by swans and a a dolphin. The tie beam above the frieze had been painted white with black horizontal and cabled bands. Beneath the frieze traces of black and white strap work decoration survived on some of the wall timbers (B10).

Sources and further reading

<2>Bibliographic reference: RCHM BUCKS 1 PP8-9.. Mon 37
<3>Article in serial: READER FW 1932 TUDOR MURAL PAINTINGS IN THE LESSER HOUSES IN BUCKS ARCHAEOLOGICALJOURNAL89PP147-155,.
<4>Unpublished document: O.S. RECORD CARD SU 99 NE 21.
<10>Article in serial: Francis W Reader. 1933. 'Tudor Mural Paintings in the Lesser Houses in Bucks', in Recs of Bucks Vol 12 pp368-398 & Plates I-XIV. Vol 12, No 7. pp382-6, Plate XIII

Associated excavations and fieldwork

  • EBC16277: Evaluation trial trenching and building recording (Ref: KAA 00/60)

Related monuments

Reports

No image caption available  © Buckinghamshire County Council

No image caption available © Buckinghamshire County Council