skip content
homepage
what's new
sitemap
search
frequently asked questions
help
complaints procedure
terms and conditions
feedback form
access key details


Record details

BCC record ID:0427300000
Type of record:Monument
Summary:Seventeenth century windmill, moved to Lacey Green from Chesham in the nineteenth century and used as a Home Guard observation post in WWII.
Grid Reference:SP 81916 00779
Parish:

LACEY GREEN, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire

Monument type(s)

  • (Former) CORN MILL (Disused after 1914/5 17th Century to Modern - 1600 AD to 1999 AD)
  • WINDMILL (17th Century - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
  • SMOCK MILL (17th Century - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
  • (Former) OBSERVATION POST (Modern - 1940 AD to 1944 AD)

Associated finds: none recorded

Protected status

  • Listed Building

Public access information

Is the site accessible to the public?Occasionally
Is the site visible from a public viewpoint?Yes

Full description

Dimensions - Radius 0335 cm
Plan Form - OCTAGONAL
MARKED ON 1825 & 1847 MAPS (B1-2).
LAST WORKED 1914-15. LATER USED AS COTTAGE. ORIGINALLY AT CHESHAM: MOVED HERE 1821. NUMBERED TIMBERS SHOW DISMANTLING & REASSEMBLY (B3).
RESTORED BY CHILTERN SOCIETY IN 1973. SMOCK MILL 3 STOREY (B5).
PHOTOS OF MILL WORKING 1900'S (B7).
1812 MAP SHOWS MILL HERE - ANOTHER MILL? (B10).
The mill was used as an observation post by the Home Guard during the war (B12).
Grade II+. Smock-mill. Mid-late C17, restored 1970s. Timber frame with weatherboard cladding, now with C20 strengthening and weatherboarded outer skin. Weatherboard is carried over curved pitches of cap. Early C19 brick base. Octagonal, with sloping sides. 4 storeys. Base has 2 board doors and 2 paired wooden casements, and is set partly below ground flevel. Upper floors have barred wooden windows on 2 opposite sides, all set like raking dormers. 2 board doors to first floor. Revolving cap with 4 C20 wooden sails, the fantail in process of restoration. Internally the frame has large roughly curved braces between cant posts. Main machinery is complete with main drive shaft and wallower, spur wheel, windshaft and brake wheel, the wheel spokes morticed into the shafts. 2 sets of mill-stones in rebuilt casing but with original tentering gear. Rebuilt shoots; bins and flour dressers brought from elsewhere. Mill said to have been moved from original site at Chesham in 1821. (Chiltern Society leaflet "Lacey Green Windmill" 1973) (B11).
Buildings report held at NMR (B14)

Sources and further reading

<1>Map: BRYANT A MAP OF BUCKS (1825).
<2>Map: LIPSCOMB 2 (FRONTISPIECE MAP OF AYLESBURY HUNDRED).
<3>Bibliographic reference: SMITH D ENGLISH WINDMILLS 2 (1932) P134.
<4>Bibliographic reference: VINCE J WINDMILLS IN BUCKS AND THE CHILTERNS (1976) P22.
<5>Bibliographic reference: SMITH AC WINDMILLS IN BUCKS AND OXFORDSHIRE (1976) PP10 18.
<6>Map: OS SIX INCH MAP (1960).
<7>Bibliographic reference: ARP FROM UNDERHILL COLLECTION (ALBUM OF PHOTOS IN MUSEUM OF THE HISTORY OF SCIENCE OLD ASHMOLEAN BUI.
<8>Article in serial: RECS OF BUCKS 24 (1982) PP118-124 (M FARNELL ACCOUNT BOOKS OF WILLIAM COOPER MILLWRIGHT OF AYLESBURY.
<9>Bibliographic reference: The Chiltern Society (Historic Works and Building Group). 1973. Lacey Green Windmill (illustrated leaflet).
<10>Map: VENN J H, JULY 1986, FRO M OS 2-INCH DRAFT MAP C.1812.
<11>Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1985. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. p38
<12>Digital archive: Council for British Archaeology. 2002. Defence of Britain database. Anti-invasion record ID:S0008596
<13>Index: Council for British Archaeology. 1972. CBA Industrial Archaeology Record Card 238405.
<14>Unpublished document: English Heritage. 2006. NMR Buildings Reports. BF008180

Associated excavations and fieldwork: none recorded

Related monuments

Images

Lacey Green windmill  © Buckinghamshire County CouncilLacey Green windmill  © Buckinghamshire County CouncilLacey Green windmill  © Buckinghamshire County CouncilLacey Green windmill  © Buckinghamshire County CouncilLacey Green windmill  © Oxfordshire County Council Photographic Archive

Reports

No image caption available  © Buckinghamshire County Council

No image caption available © Buckinghamshire County Council