skip content
homepage
what's new
sitemap
search
frequently asked questions
help
complaints procedure
terms and conditions
feedback form
access key details


Record details

BCC record ID:0456000000
Type of record:Building
Summary:Late fifteenth century timber-framed hall house at Old House Farm, with late sixteenth century alterations.
Grid Reference:SP 79054 01895
Parish:

BLEDLOW-CUM-SAUNDERTON, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire

Monument type(s)

  • FARMHOUSE (15th Century to 16th Century - 1400 AD to 1599 AD)
  • (Alternate) TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (15th Century - 1400 AD to 1499 AD)
  • (Alternate) SINGLE ENDED HALL HOUSE (15th Century - 1400 AD to 1499 AD)
  • (Alternate) JETTIED HOUSE (15th Century - 1400 AD to 1499 AD)

Associated finds: none recorded

Protected status

  • Listed Building

Public access information

Is the site accessible to the public?No
Is the site visible from a public viewpoint?Yes

Full description

FORMERLEY KNOWN AS FROGMORE FARMHOUSE. LATE C15, ALTERED C1600 & LATER. TIMBER FRAME WITH BRICK INFI LL, FRONT GABLE WITH HERRINGBONE INFILL. IRREGULAR T-PLAN WITH 2-BAY HALL TO LEFT & 3-BAY CROSS WING TO RIGHT. SOME INTERNAL C15 & EARLY C17 FITTINGS & FEATURES (B1).
Grade II+. House. Late C15, altered c.1600 and later. Timber frame with brick infill, the front gable with repointed herringbone and patterned infill. Tiled roofs, the right side of cross wing with old tiles. Chimney of thin brick to left of front gable. Irregular T-plan with 2-bay hall to left and 3-bay cross wing to right. 2 storeys. Barred wooden casements, mostly C20. Hall has 4-light casement to ground floor left with 2-light casement in gabled eaves-line dormer above. Right bay has single light to left and 2 paired casements to first floor. C20 door to right with C20 tiled lean-to porch. Cross wing has weatherboarded gable, upper storey jettied on beam ends, and 3-light casements. Lean to along left side of cross wing in rear angle with hall. C20 single storey extensions to far end of cross wing and to left of hall, the latter with flat roof. Interior: hall has fine central truss with moulded tie beam on curved braces, and arch-braced collar above. Right bay of hall is sub-divided by truss with chamfered tie beam on curved braces, the left part of the bay probably once a smoke bay, now with chimney inserted c.1600. Arched wind-braces in roof. Floor also inserted c.1600, the main left bay with large stop-chamfered spine beam. Cross wing has original C15 floors with heavy plain joists, the front bay a parlour with large chamfered cross beam. Room above has subsidiary central truss with arch-braced collar, and arched wind-braces. RCHM I p. 276-277 Mon.5 (B2).

Sources and further reading

<1>Bibliographic reference: RCHM BUCKS 1 PP276-277.
<2>Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1985. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest: Buckinghamshire: Wycombe District: Parishes of Bledlow &C. p17

Associated excavations and fieldwork: none recorded

Related monuments

Reports

No image caption available  © Buckinghamshire County Council

No image caption available © Buckinghamshire County Council