skip content
homepage
what's new
sitemap
search
frequently asked questions
help
complaints procedure
terms and conditions
feedback form
access key details


Record details

BCC record ID:0463200000
Type of record:Building
Summary:Medieval and post-medieval parish church of St Mary's at Saunderton, rebuilt in the nineteenth century.
Grid Reference:SP 79555 01887
Parish:

BLEDLOW-CUM-SAUNDERTON, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire

Monument type(s)

  • PARISH CHURCH (Rebuilt 1888-1891 14th Century to 19th Century - 1300 AD to 1899 AD)

Associated finds: none recorded

Protected status

  • Listed Building
  • Planning Notification Area

Public access information

Is the site accessible to the public?Occasionally
Is the site visible from a public viewpoint?Yes

Full description

SAUNDERTON FORMERLY HAD 2 CHURCHES, UNITED C.1459. OTHER CHURCH ALLOWED TO DECAY (B1-3)
ST. MARY'S: SMALL, MEAN BUILDING WITH LOW WOODEN BELL TURRET. ABOUT 20M BY 5M (B1).
CHURCH REBUILT BY J S ALDER, 1888-91, REUSING MUCH OF ORIGINAL FLINT RUBBLE & STONE DRESSINGS & RE-SET C14 WINDOWS (B4-5).
Grade II+. Parish church. Rebuilt 1888-91, incorporating restored C14 windows and doorways. Flint with stone dressings, tiled roofs, shingled bell- tower, timber-framed porch. 2-bay nave with bell-tower set in W. bay, 2-bay chancel, N. vestry, S. porch. 2-light traceried windows, mostly with Y tracery, the nave with similar 3-light window to N. and single cusped light over main W. window. C19 3-light traceried E. window; pair of lights with 4-centred heads and Tudor hoodmould in S. wall of chancel. Moulded S. doorway with carved head label stops; small blocked N. doorway with chamfered arch and label; small blocked doorway to S. of chancel. Bell-tower has louvred openings and pyramidal roof. Interior: timber frame of bell-tower is probably C15 with crossed braces. Cusped piscina. C19 roofs. Fittings: C12-C13 font, a smaller version of the "Aylesbury" type with fluted bowl, carved foliage frieze, part of cable moulding, and later base; screen incorporating medieval traceried panels; small medieval floor tiles re-set in vestry; 2 C18-C19 painted texts; C19 glass and other fittings. Small brass with half-figure of Isabella Saunterdon (B6).

Sources and further reading

<1>Bibliographic reference: LIPSCOMB 3 PP 627-628.
<2>Bibliographic reference: KELKE W H 1865 DESECRATED CHURCHES IN BUCKS, RECSOFBUCKS3PP124-126"".
<3>Bibliographic reference: GIBBS R 1888 STATE OF THE BUCKS PARISH CHURCHES IN C16 & C17, RECSOFBUCKS6P159"".
<4>Bibliographic reference: RCHM BUCKS 1 P276.
<5>Bibliographic reference: PEVSNER N 1960 BUCKINGHAMSHIRE P231.
<6>Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1985. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest: Buckinghamshire: Wycombe District: Parishes of Bledlow &C. p13
<7>Bibliographic reference: G E SCRIMGEOUR, MARCH 1988, FROM CASS 00367.

Associated excavations and fieldwork: none recorded

Related monuments

Images

St Mary's church, Saunderton  © Oxfordshire County Council Photographic ArchiveSt Mary's church, Saunderton  © Oxfordshire County Council Photographic Archive

Reports

No image caption available  © Buckinghamshire County Council

No image caption available © Buckinghamshire County Council