skip content
homepage
what's new
sitemap
search
frequently asked questions
help
complaints procedure
terms and conditions
feedback form
access key details


Record details

BCC record ID:0511600000
Type of record:Monument
Summary:In 1877, William Buckingham is noted as a Brickmaker at Railway Wharf and a large area of excavations, long sheds and a raised track connecting to the railway are noted on a nineteenth century map
Grid Reference:SP 7694 2852
Parish:

WINSLOW, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire

Monument type(s)

  • BRICKWORKS (19th Century to Modern - 1800 AD to 1999 AD)

Associated finds: none recorded

Public access information

Is the site accessible to the public?No
Is the site visible from a public viewpoint?Unclassified

Full description

KELLY'S DIRECTORIES:1877 BUCKINGHAM, W, BRICK & TILEMAKER, RAILWAY WHARF; 1883 FOXLEY, WILLIAM RAILWAY WHARF, BRICKMAKER; 1903-7 RIDGWAY WILLIAM, BRICKMAKER (1). BRICKWORKS AT NGR (2). SITE OVERGROWN. A RAISED PLATFORM BY RAILWAY AT SP 7691 2854 MAY BE THE 'WHARF' (3). KILN DEMOLISHED IN THE 1970'S. WORKS STARTED C1868, CLOSING C1910 (4).
The OS 1st Edition 6in Map surveyd in 1880 shows the land being excavated leaving ponds behind and the area of workings linked by a raised track to the railway line. By 1976-77 when the OS 1:10,000 sheet was surveyed for revision all the buildings and excavations appear to have gone leaving only the placename 'Brickyard Farm' as evidence (5, 6).

Sources and further reading

<1>Bibliographic reference: KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF BUCKS 1877-1907.
<2>Map: OS 1900 2ND EDITION 1:10560 MAP.
<3>Bibliographic reference: RAINS M J FEB 1982 FIELD VISIT (SEE HIS WINSLOW PA RISH SURVEY IN CAS FILE 2802).
<4>Bibliographic reference: WIGLEY A H 1980.
<5>Unpublished document: CMAG. 1980(?)-2001. Mineral Extraction Sites in Buckinghamshire.
<6>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1878-80. OS 1st Edition 6 inch map: Sheet 19.

Associated excavations and fieldwork: none recorded

Related monuments

Reports

No image caption available  © Buckinghamshire County Council

No image caption available © Buckinghamshire County Council