skip content
homepage
what's new
sitemap
search
frequently asked questions
help
complaints procedure
terms and conditions
feedback form
access key details


Record details

BCC record ID:0556300000
Type of record:Building
Summary:Early 17th century house, in use as a Quaker Meeting House from about 1660, extended in 1689, again in eighteenth century and refronted.
Grid Reference:SU 95608 97041
Parish:

AMERSHAM, Chiltern, Buckinghamshire

Monument type(s)

  • FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE (17th Century to Modern - 1600 AD to 1945 AD)
  • NONCONFORMIST CHAPEL (17th Century to Modern - 1600 AD to 1945 AD)
  • HOUSE (17th Century - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)

Associated finds: none recorded

Protected status

  • Listed Building

Public access information

Is the site accessible to the public?No
Is the site visible from a public viewpoint?Unclassified

Full description

Dimensions - Length 0018 m Width 0010
METHODIST CHAPEL (WESLEYAN) AND BURIAL GROUND AT NGR (B1). 1600 TIMBER-FRAMED 1 STOREY COTTAGE, ATTICS AND CENRAL CHIMNEYSTACK. OCCUPIED BY FRIENDS SINCE C.1660. LATE C19 OCCUPIED BY WESLEYANS. 1917 RE-OPENED FOR QUAKERS (MORE DETAIL) (B2).
Grade II+ [with adjacent Whielden Cottage]. Original house at south end c.1600 extended to 1689 to form a Meeting Room for Friends, who has used the building from about 1660. Extended further north late C18, when the Meeting House was refronted in red brick. Cottage refronted early C19. Old tile roof, hipped at north end, C17 brick stack to cottage, gable on left with 2-light casement door with bracketted hood, 2-light casement on left with segmental arch. Meeting House has 2-fold 6 flush panel doors with delicate astragal mouldings, wooden architrave and flat gauged arch. Two sash windows
each side, all with wood cills, segmental arches and panelled shutters with ornamental iron fasteners.
Rear elevation has four gabled wings, three weatherboarded, the southern one brick.
Interior: Cottage has exposed beams of c.1600. Meeting House is divided into two rooms by a screen with ounterweighted shutters. Main room has plain dado panelling, wall benches and a stand, open backed benches with shaped ends.
Setting: a large open burial ground on the north and west. Important associations with Quaker history (B3).

Sources and further reading

<1>Map: OS 1876 1ST EDITION 1:2500 MAP.
<2>Bibliographic reference: Christopher Stell (RCHME). 1986. Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses: Buckinghamshire. pp1, 3-5 illus
<3>Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1984. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest: Buckinghamshire: Chiltern District: Parishes of Amersham, Chesham Bois and Coleshill. p88

Associated excavations and fieldwork: none recorded

Related monuments

Reports

No image caption available  © Buckinghamshire County Council

No image caption available © Buckinghamshire County Council