skip content
homepage
what's new
sitemap
search
frequently asked questions
help
complaints procedure
terms and conditions
feedback form
access key details


Record details

BCC record ID:0043700000
Type of record:Monument
Summary:Medieval to post-medieval village earthworks recorded on aerial photograph and historical records of depopulation of village in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.
Grid Reference:SP 6666 3825
Parish:

STOWE, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire

Monument type(s)

Associated finds: none recorded

Protected status

  • Planning Notification Area
  • SHINE

Public access information

Is the site accessible to the public?No
Is the site visible from a public viewpoint?Yes

Full description

VILLAGE/HAMLET VISIBLE ON AP (B6). A NUMBER OF CLEARLY DEFINED PLATFORMS. A FINE HOLLOW WAY RUNS UPHILL TO W (NGR TO CENTRE OF THESE EARTHWORKS). NOT THOROUGHLY SURVEYED. VILLAGE BECAME DEPOPULATED WHEN STOWE HOUSE BUILT (5). NB: CONSISTED OF FARMHOUSE & A FEW COTTAGES C.1862 (2). SKETCH ON CAS CARD.

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: 11/10/46. RAF 20.4185. SP\675378. Yes.
<1>Bibliographic reference: LIPSCOMB 3 PP113-4.
<2>Bibliographic reference: SHEAHAN P309.
<3>Bibliographic reference: VCH BUCKS 4 PP233-4.
<4>Bibliographic reference: CONGRESS OF ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETIES, REPORT OF 33RD CONGRESS (1925) 1926 P18.
<5>Map: BULL E J 1973 PERS COMM & MAP.
<6>Aerial Photograph: RAF Vertical Aerial Photograph, 1946: run ?, frame 4185.
<7>Bibliographic reference: MEF (BCM) AP'S A25/14/0A-5A & A25/13/36-37 (APRIL 1996).

Associated excavations and fieldwork

  • EBC13272:
  • EBC13770:

Related monuments

Images

Deserted medieval village at Dadford  © Buckinghamshire County CouncilDeserted medieval village at Dadford  © Buckinghamshire County CouncilDeserted medieval village at Dadford  © Buckinghamshire County CouncilAerial photograph of Dadford  © Buckinghamshire County CouncilAerial photograph of Dadford  © Buckinghamshire County Council

Reports

No image caption available  © Buckinghamshire County Council

No image caption available © Buckinghamshire County Council