skip content
homepage
what's new
sitemap
search
frequently asked questions
help
complaints procedure
terms and conditions
feedback form
access key details


Record details

BCC record ID:1071001000
Type of record:Building
Summary:Nineteenth century half-timbered stable, built in 1860s and now part of school.
Grid Reference:SP 69037 37552
Parish:

AKELEY, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire

Monument type(s)

  • (Former) STABLE (Built 1860s 19th Century - 1800 AD to 1899 AD)

Associated finds: none recorded

Protected status

  • Listed Building

Public access information

Is the site accessible to the public?No
Is the site visible from a public viewpoint?Unclassified

Full description

Grade II. Former stable block, now school-rooms. 1860's by G. Devey, altered 1946. Ironstone plinth, half timbered above with some patterning and whitewashed roughcast infill. Brick wing to N. Tiled roofs, bargeboards with elaborately carved finials and brackets to base. Small ironstone chimneys to grooms' chambers. Style to match that of house. One storey. Irregular facades with gabled projections and some jettying. S. front of five bays has high wooden mullion windows with 1946 metal casements below. E. front has blocked entrance with moulded stone pointed arch, buttresses and clock tower to right. Tower of four stages has half-timbered top with clock, remainder roughcast with stone lancet windows, buttresses and pyramid roof. Interior has large central hall with pointed arched entrances to former stables, carriages and washing area; flats for grooms and riding school to rear, all now converted for school use (B1).

Sources and further reading

<1>Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1983. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. p10

Associated excavations and fieldwork: none recorded

Related monuments