skip content
homepage
what's new
sitemap
search
frequently asked questions
help
complaints procedure
terms and conditions
feedback form
access key details


Record details

BCC record ID:1305000000
Type of record:Building
Summary:Eighteenth century town-house called Remnantz, in use as a junior military academy 1799-1811.
Grid Reference:SU 84624 86400
Parish:

MARLOW, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire

Monument type(s)

  • TOWN HOUSE (Built about 1720 18th Century - 1700 AD to 1799 AD)
  • (Former) MILITARY COLLEGE (19th Century - 1801 AD to 1812 AD)

Associated finds: none recorded

Protected status

  • Listed Building

Public access information

Is the site accessible to the public?No
Is the site visible from a public viewpoint?Yes

Full description

Grade II+. 1799-1811, altered. 2 storeys and attic. Brown brick with red dressings. Moulded brick string at 1st floor level and over 1st floor windows. Brick dentilled moulded cornice. Parapet with stone coping. Slate roof. 3 dormers. Road front has flanking half octagon 2 storey bays with 2 windows on 1st floor between bays, and divided by central brick pilaster. On ground floor between bays 9 panel central door flanked by narrow windows with balustrade aprons, all in elaborate Ionic surround of pilasters and entablature with curved frieze and modillioned cornice, the entablature projects as wide porch supported on 2 Ionic columns, opposite door. The porch approached by 5 moulded stone steps curved outwards, with plain contemporary guard rails with urn standards. Long plain wing at right angels to main house at back to left hand partly early C19. South front has central Palladian window at mezzanine level with garden door under flanked by one window, early C19. Alteration to left hand with 2-storey angular bay. The house was originally 3-story and u-shaped. The top story and part of one window were removed in early 19th century after the Royal Military College (later Sandhurst) had left, after being established in this house and possibly Marlow Place from 1799 to 1811. The interior has a good early 18th century stair with turned balusters and contemporary panelling and carved door frames, etc. (B1).
The Royal Military College established its junior section at Remnantz in 1801-2 and cadet training continued there for some 11 years. The establishment moved to Sandhurst in 1812 (B6). [See CAS 13205:03 for the senior branch of the military academy].
Built about 1720 within a grand setting of walled forecourts and gardens. The two-storey bay windows and fine doorcase on street façade perhaps added by Stephen Remnant, the Woolwich ironfounder who bought the house in 1753. About 1825 the top storey was removed by Thomas Wethered, the w wing demolished and the w half of the south front rebuilt. The SE wing was remodelled about 1954 by G Berkeley Wills (B7).

Sources and further reading

<1>Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1974. LIST OF BUILDINGS OF SPECIAL ARCHITECTURAL OR HISTORIC INTEREST. p45
<2>Unpublished document: Mrs S Brendall and Mike Farley. 1998. Correspondence relating to descorative niches in Garden Wall.
<3>Unpublished document: Nicky Smith (BCM). 1998. Smith N 1998 Historic Parks and Gardens Register Review.
<4>Unpublished document: Hertfordshire Archaeological Trust. 1995. Remnantz, Marlow, Bucks..
<5>Unpublished document: Hertfordshire Archaeological Trust. 1997. Remnantz, Marlow, Bucks..
<6>Bibliographic reference: Rachel Bown & Julian Hunt. 1994. Marlow: A Pictorial History. Introduction & caption to Plates 43,90
<7>Bibliographic reference: Nikolaus Pevsner & Elizabeth Williamson. 1994. The Buildings of England: Buckinghamshire. pp462-3

Associated excavations and fieldwork: none recorded

Related monuments

Images

Remnantz, Marlow  © Buckinghamshire County CouncilRemnantz, Marlow  © Buckinghamshire County CouncilRemnantz, Marlow  © Buckinghamshire County CouncilRemnantz, Marlow  © Buckinghamshire County Council