skip content
homepage
what's new
sitemap
search
frequently asked questions
help
complaints procedure
terms and conditions
feedback form
access key details


Record details

BCC record ID:0063601000
Type of record:Building
Summary:Early sixteenth century country house with late sixteenth, seventeenth and nineteenth century alterations and extensions.
Grid Reference:SP 76638 11038
Parish:

DINTON-WITH-FORD AND UPTON, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire

Monument type(s)

  • (Former) COUNTRY HOUSE (16th Century to 19th Century - 1500 AD to 1899 AD)
  • HOUSE (16th Century to 21st Century - 1500 AD to 2099 AD)

Associated finds: none recorded

Protected status

  • Listed Building
  • Planning Notification Area

Public access information

Is the site accessible to the public?No
Is the site visible from a public viewpoint?Yes

Full description

Dimensions - Length 0044 m Width 0016
MANSION OF THE MAYNES & VANHATTEMS (B1).
Grade II+. Country house. Circa 1500, enlarged and substantially rebuilt late C16, altered C17 and 1855-1857. West wing and main south front rubblestone, also east elevation of service ranges fronting churchyard. Remainder in brick. Old tile roofs. Two storeys plus attics, service blocks two storey. Half H plan with wings extending to south and service ranges at east. North front main block of 4 gabled bays, each with two 2-light arched leaded windows. Entrance in 1855 porch in second bay from right in Jacobean style. 2 niches replace the windows above. Band course. Most brick is late C16. Upper floor windows flanked by broad Doric pilasters. Windows and pilasters cement dressed to simulate stone. Cornice above, then 4 gables with stone coping and finials. Oval recesses between first and second and third and fouth gables. Right hand windows to first floor have lower sills and are staircase windows. Behind are range of eight flues, the outer three each side diagonally set, the inner two square. To west is stone gabled bay with cross casement in stone to ground floor. 5-light C17 mullioned attic window with cornice. Beyond is two bay range that is reputed to have been chapel. Service range to east of house has 5 bay ground floor colonnade and 4 four-light stone mullioned upper windows. 4 gables over. South front. Main block has 7 bays of stone cross casement windows. Arched entrance at right. Band course and moulded cornice. Four 2-light hipped dormers to attic. Left wing has ashlar bay window, then 5-light attic stone mullioned window with cornice. At right east wing has 2 cross-casements. Then service blocks in brick. Most of this front represents 1855-1857 work (hopper heads dated 1857) and replaces C18 sashes. Many diagonally set chimneys. Interior. Mainly 1855 onwards features; two Jacobean style staircases and much panelling. The north west projecting wing has in its cellar corbelled supports for hearth and chimney breast above, Circa 1500,consisting of 4 vertical partitions and three shelves dividing it into 12 niches or square recesses. The partitions are coved out and have moulded medieval corbels at top and bottom. On first floor in middle room facing south is 4-centred arched fireplace with moulded jambs and C17 added carved surrounds. Some C18 panelling in minor rooms, but mostly C19 interiors. North front has C16 Flemish pictorial and armorial glass, also medieval English stained glass. The house was originally rebuilt c1500 for Archbishop Warham, and was owned by the Regicide Simon Mayne who died in the Tower of London in 1661. RCHM I. 125. MON. 5 (B7).
Assessment, watching brief and salvage recording carried out in September and October 2000 during extensive refurbishments to the house failed to identify in-situ archaeological remains, due largely to the advanced stage of the intrusive works. The assessment identified areas of significant 18th and 19th century modifications (B8).
Buildings report dated Apr-Nov 1991 held at NMR (B9)

Sources and further reading

<1>Bibliographic reference: LIPSCOMB 2 PP153-156.
<3>Bibliographic reference: RCHM BUCKS 1 PP125-126.
<5>Bibliographic reference: PEVSNER N 1960 BUCKINGHAMSHIRE P107.
<6>Bibliographic reference: OS RECORD CARD (ILLUS FILED).
<7>Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1985. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest: Bucks: Aylesbury Vale: Parishes of Ashendon &C. p66
<8>Unpublished document: Archaeological Services & Consultancy Ltd. 2000. An Archaeological Assessment of Dinton Hall, Dinton.
<9>Unpublished document: English Heritage. 2006. NMR Buildings Reports. BF086270

Associated excavations and fieldwork

  • EBC16529: Salvage recording and watching brief (Ref: DHD00)

Related monuments

Images

Dinton Hall, dovecote, gardens and church  © Buckinghamshire County CouncilDemolished churchyard wall, Dinton Hall  © Buckinghamshire County CouncilDinton Hall under restoration  © Buckinghamshire County CouncilDinton Hall garden during restoration  © Buckinghamshire County CouncilAerial photograph of Dinton Hall and church  © Buckinghamshire County Council

Reports

No image caption available  © Buckinghamshire County Council

No image caption available © Buckinghamshire County Council