skip content
homepage
what's new
sitemap
search
frequently asked questions
help
complaints procedure
terms and conditions
feedback form
access key details


Record details

BCC record ID:0064400000
Type of record:Monument
Summary:Site of nineteenth century Wycombe Union workhouse, built 1843 and demolished by 1971.
Grid Reference:SU 81590 98080
Parish:

BLEDLOW-CUM-SAUNDERTON, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire

Monument type(s)

  • (Former) WORKHOUSE (19th Century to Modern - 1843 AD to 1999 AD)

Associated finds: none recorded

Public access information

Is the site accessible to the public?No
Is the site visible from a public viewpoint?No

Full description

WORKHOUSE OF WYCOMBE POOR LAW UNION...IS A LARGE LOFTY STRUCTURE OF FLINT, WITH RED BRICK DRESSINGS, IN THE TUDOR STYLE, SURROUNDED BY 11 ACRES OF GARDEN GROUND (B1). LOCATION (B2). NO PART APPARENTLY SURVIVES, THE SITE NOW BEING OCCUPIED BY CILAG PHARMACEUTICAL FACTORY (B3).
Wycombe Union Workhouse built at Saunderton in 1843 of brick and flint, with accomodation for 450 inmates. [Architect's drawing](B4).

Sources and further reading

<1>Bibliographic reference: SHEAHAN P910.
<2>Map: OS 1874/85 6 INCH MAP (1ST EDN).
<3>Bibliographic reference: PIKE A R FIELD VISIT JULY 1979.
<4>Bibliographic reference: Ivan G Sparkes. 1990. High Wycombe: A Pictorial History. Caption to plate 19

Associated excavations and fieldwork

  • EBC1347:

Related monuments: none

Reports

No image caption available  © Buckinghamshire County Council

No image caption available © Buckinghamshire County Council