skip content
homepage
what's new
sitemap
search
frequently asked questions
help
complaints procedure
terms and conditions
feedback form
access key details


Record details

BCC record ID:0691100000
Type of record:Monument
Summary:A wide ditch and partially surviving bank are defined in 10th century as boundary of the Manor of Winslow
Grid Reference:SP 75991 28976
Parish:

WINSLOW, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire

Monument type(s)

  • BOUNDARY (5th Century Saxon to 10th Century - 410 AD? to 999 AD)
  • DITCH (5th Century Saxon to 10th Century - 410 AD to 999 AD)

Associated finds: none recorded

Public access information

Is the site accessible to the public?No
Is the site visible from a public viewpoint?Unclassified

Full description

An article tracing the 10th century boundary of Winslow Manor notes the reference to 'Mown Ditch'. The 1599 Estate map of Salden refers to it as New Ditch which appears in the form of Newenditch or Newendich in the 14th Century Court rolls. This evidence suggests that the boundary for the land holdings had been redefined (possibly that Winslow from Addington and northern part of Swanbourne were once one holding) before the 10th century. Parts of the bank have survived at the southern end. The ditch also gently curves to the west, possibly reflecting the lost settlement of Dudslow. The New Ditch is recorded as joining the 'Kings Boundary Ditch' or brook which is thought to have been obliterated by land drainage changes during the building of Little Horwood airfield in 1939 (1).

Sources and further reading

<1>Article in serial: E J Bull and Julian Hunt. 1996. 'Rewalking the Tenth-century Perambulation of Winslow Manor', in Recs of Bucks 38 pp90-108. Vol 38. p100

Associated excavations and fieldwork: none recorded

Related monuments: none