skip content
what's new
frequently asked questions
complaints procedure
terms and conditions
feedback form
access key details

Record details

BCC record ID:0075500000
Type of record:Building
Summary:Baptist chapel, known as Keach's Meeting House, probably dating to 1695, altered and refitted in the 19th century.
Grid Reference:SP 76952 27483

WINSLOW, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire

Monument type(s)

  • BAPTIST CHAPEL (Built 1695 17th Century - 1600 AD to 1699 AD)
  • GENERAL BAPTIST CHAPEL (17th Century to 19th Century - 1695 AD to 1807 AD)
  • PARTICULAR BAPTIST CHAPEL (19th Century to Modern - 1807 AD to 1999 AD?)

Associated finds: none recorded

Protected status

  • Listed Building

Public access information

Is the site accessible to the public?Occasionally
Is the site visible from a public viewpoint?No

Full description

Dimensions - Length 0600 cm Width 0550
Grade II+. Baptist chapel, C17, said to be 1625 but probably contemporary with porch dated 1695, altered and re-fitted early C19. Brick irregularly bonded. Left gable has brick plinth and band course at eaves level, Old tile roof, 2 bays. N front has small leaded windows with moulded jambs and wooden shutters. Central gabled porch is timber framed with brick infill and original twisted wooden balusters to open side sections, wooden entablature much restored. E gable has C20 leaded casements with segmental heads. 2 single lights high in W wall inserted in 1824. Humble interior has arched braces to central principal rafters, and wind braces to roof. Fittings: C17 communion table with turned baluster legs; c1800 box pews and central pulpit at W end; plain benches with single back rails, probably of same date; narrow gallery of 1827 along E wall with open front and narrow staircase to N, wooden hat pegs. Early C18 tomb slabs in floor, Small graveyard to front had brick wall with segmental arch to gateway on E side. Chapel associated with Benjamin Keach, one of the first people to introduce regular hymn singing in services, and pastor at Winslow 1658-68. Sources: RCHM II p341 Mon 2; Guide Book (B5).
The chapel is a typical example of a 17th century dissenter’s chapel, designed to be plain and unadorned for people to worship God ‘in spirit and in truth’. Much of the timber-framed porch was renewed in 1958. The pulpit is flanked with box pews and there is a small gallery built at the east end in 1827 to cope for the increasing congregation. In the N gable, a small stone tablet inscribed the WMG 1695 stands of William and Mary Gyles. William Gyles was a prominent Winslow citizen mentioned in local records for his feud with the Duke of Buckingham over the right to set up stalls in the market place. He died in 1713 and enmity towards him by the established church was such that he was described as an ‘anti-Christian baptist’ in the parish register. Benjamin Keach ministered here. There are records of various confrontations between himself and local authorities which eventually forced him to move to London. He is well-known as the leader of the movement to introduce hymn singing into normal congregational work. By 1856, the church’s congregation had decline to non-existent but a revival came 1863. Services finally ceased in 1927 (B4).

Sources and further reading

<1>Bibliographic reference: RCHM BUCKS 2 P341.
<2>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1958. OS 1958 1:10560 MAP. 1:10,560.
<3>Bibliographic reference: PEVSNER N 1960 BUCKINGHAMSHIRE P297.
<4>Unpublished document: Trustees of Keach's Meeting House. 2000. Keach's Meeting House, Winslow, Bucks.
<6>Bibliographic reference: Christopher Stell (RCHME). 1986. Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses: Buckinghamshire. pp27-9
<7>Unpublished document: Aylesbury Vale District Council. Copy of AVDC Listed Buildings Information Card for Keach's Meeting House.

Associated excavations and fieldwork

  • EBC13590: Site visit

Related monuments


Keach's Meeting House, Winslow  © Buckinghamshire County CouncilKeach's Meeting House, Winslow  © Buckinghamshire County Council


No image caption available  © Buckinghamshire County Council

No image caption available © Buckinghamshire County Council