skip content
homepage
what's new
sitemap
search
frequently asked questions
help
complaints procedure
terms and conditions
feedback form
access key details


Record details

BCC record ID:0095700000
Type of record:Building
Summary:Eighteenth century almshouses built in 1746 and restored in the twentieth century, originally for 8 people, now for 4.
Grid Reference:SP 83637 06648
Parish:

ELLESBOROUGH, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire

Monument type(s)

  • ALMSHOUSE (Restored about 1959 18th Century - 1700 AD to 1799 AD)

Associated finds: none recorded

Protected status

  • Listed Building
  • Planning Notification Area

Public access information

Is the site accessible to the public?No
Is the site visible from a public viewpoint?Yes

Full description

FOUNDED BY WILL OF DAME ISABELLA DODD FOR MAINTENANCE OF 4 OLD MEN & 4 OLD WOMEN (B1).
Grade II. Block of 4 almshouses, formerly 8. Dated 1746 on plaque, altered C20. Founded by Lady Isabella Dodd for the maintenance of 4 old men and 4 old women. Vitreous-brown brick with red brick dressings and vertical strips. Rendered plinth, eaves with narrow brick dentils. Hipped old tile roof with 3 gables to north and slates over central bay to south. 3 brick chimneys. One storey, approximately 3 x 2 bays. Irregular C20 leaded casements, C20 door to centre of N. side. S. side has taller central bay with shallow gable containing round inscription plaque. This bay also has paired casements with segmental heads flanking central flush-panelled door with C19 gabled timber porch. Interior modernised C20 (B2).
Note on restoration work and photograph (B3).
AT NGR (B4).

Sources and further reading

<1>Bibliographic reference: LIPSCOMB 2 PP189-190.
<2>Bibliographic reference: DoE. 1985. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. p7
<3>Article in serial: RECS OF BUCKS 1959 16 P300 PL XVI.
<4>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1960. OS 1960 6-INCH MAP. 1:10,560.

Associated excavations and fieldwork: none recorded

Related monuments

Reports

No image caption available  © Buckinghamshire County Council

No image caption available © Buckinghamshire County Council