skip content
homepage
what's new
sitemap
search
frequently asked questions
help
complaints procedure
terms and conditions
feedback form
access key details


Record details

BCC record ID:0011600000
Type of record:Monument
Summary:Medieval farmstead in Bray's Wood with enclosing bank and house platforms surviving as earthworks
Grid Reference:SU 93242 99714
Parish:

LITTLE MISSENDEN, Chiltern, Buckinghamshire

AMERSHAM, Chiltern, Buckinghamshire

Monument type(s)

  • FARMSTEAD (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated finds

  • BELT (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD)
  • KEY (LOCKING) (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • NAIL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • ROOF TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • JUG (13th Century to 14th Century - 1200 AD to 1399 AD)
  • POT (13th Century to 14th Century - 1200 AD to 1399 AD)

Protected status

  • SHINE

Public access information

Is the site accessible to the public?No
Is the site visible from a public viewpoint?Unclassified

Full description

Dimensions - Length 0400 m
Plan Form - IRREGULAR
Site discovered 1936 by H D Cockburn and some excavation (2 trenches, 8 ft and 10 ft. long). Subsequent visits show house platforms damaged and now not positive features. Roof tiles scattered throughout area of enclosure but concentrated on or near house platforms. No tile or pottery visible on surface. Site lies at sides and base of dry valley. Pottery identified by G C Dunning as grey sandy ware with angular rims. Dated by him & R Dunnett to late c13/early c14. Small quantities green glazed jug fragments recovered (said to be c13/c14) including 1 slashed handle and 2 pieces of rim. Some of pottery held by Buckinghamshire County Museum, some lost, some held by finders (H D Cockburn, E V Rogers, and C E S King). Iron nails and/or fiddle key, plus rectangular plate with 2 rivet holes at one edge opposed by two notches also recovered by Mr King and retained by him. The rectangular plate is possibly a belt fitting.(1,2,3)
Site survey carried out by M Wells and J Chaffrey of the Chess Valley Archaeological and Historical Society on 18 February 1997 noted that the earthworks are more ovoid than rectangular and are defined by part bank, ditch and part bank. The bank encloses a small NE-SW valley with a spring. Internally there are at least two buildings as indicated by roughly rectangular flint bases with a peg-hole roof tile noted in the vicinity. Some other internal banks and one quarry pit also noted.(4)

Sources and further reading

<1>Bibliographic reference: BCM CAS RECORD CARD,0116..
<2>Bibliographic reference: COCKBURN RWT 1937 TWO MEDIAEVAL SITES NEAR GREAT MISSENDEN. RECSBUCKS13P300".".
<3>Bibliographic reference: BCM ACCESSIONS REGISTER, 68.68 AND 287.72.
<4>Article in serial: Wells M, Chaffey J, Stainton B,. 1998. Brays Wood from Journal of CVAHS 1998. pp6-10
<4>Unpublished document: M wells and J Chaffrey. 1997. Report of site visit to Brays Wood by Chess Valley Archaeological and Historical Society.

Associated excavations and fieldwork

  • EBC12349: Earthwork survey
  • EBC12359:
  • EBC12361:
  • EBC1381:

Related monuments

Reports

No image caption available  © Buckinghamshire County Council

No image caption available © Buckinghamshire County Council