skip content
homepage
what's new
sitemap
search
frequently asked questions
help
complaints procedure
terms and conditions
feedback form
access key details


Record details

BCC record ID:0216100000
Type of record:Monument
Summary:Iron Age pottery, pits and hearth and Saxon pottery found in trial trenching
Grid Reference:SP 76500 00500
Parish:

BLEDLOW-CUM-SAUNDERTON, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire

Monument type(s)

  • PIT (Early Iron Age to Late Iron Age - 700 BC to 42 AD)
  • HEARTH (Early Iron Age to Late Iron Age - 700 BC to 42 AD)

Associated finds: none recorded

Protected status

  • Planning Notification Area

Public access information

Is the site accessible to the public?No
Is the site visible from a public viewpoint?Unclassified

Full description

IRON AGE POT & FINDS FROM NEWLY PLOUGHED FIELD. FOUND BY P CROSSLEY HOLLAND (B1). EXCAVATED 1947-1949 BY K M RICHARDSON & A YOUNG. TRIAL TRENCHES SHOWED NO EVIDENCE OF BOUNDARY DITCH OR BANK. MAIN SITE HAD PITS & HEARTH. POTTERY SUGGESTS DATE FROM MID- LATE PRE-ROMAN IRON AGE (B2-5). SOME SAXON POT? (B6).

Sources and further reading

<1>Bibliographic reference: CROSSLEY-HOLLAND P 1942 IRON AGE POTTERY FROM CHINNOR, IN OXONTENSIA7PP108-109&FIG25"".
<2>Bibliographic reference: RICHARDSON K M & YOUNG A 1951 IRON AGE A SITE ON THE CHILTERNS, IN ANTI-QUARIESJNL31PP132-148&PLSXVI.
<3>Article in serial: RECS OF BUCKS 15 1948-51 PP145-146,279.
<4>Bibliographic reference: HEAD J F 1955 EARLY MAN IN SOUTH BUCKS PP64,146.
<5>Bibliographic reference: SAUNDERS C 1971 PRE-BELGIC IRON AGE IN THE CENTRAL & WESTERN CHILTERNS, IN ARCHAEOLOGICALJNL127PP9FF.
<6>Verbal communication: FARLEY M E (BCM) AUG 1979 PERS COMM.
<7>Bibliographic reference: BCM ACCESSIONS REGISTERS.
<8>Verbal communication: GOWING C N (BCM) MARCH 1976 PERS COMM.
<9>Bibliographic reference: DENINGTON R F & GALLANT L 1964 IRON AGE POTTERY FROM THORNEY FARM, IVER,IN RECSOFBUCKS17PP241,242-24.

Associated excavations and fieldwork

  • EBC12277:
  • EBC13293:

Related monuments

Reports

No image caption available  © Buckinghamshire County Council

No image caption available © Buckinghamshire County Council