skip content
homepage
what's new
sitemap
search
frequently asked questions
help
complaints procedure
terms and conditions
feedback form
access key details


Record details

BCC record ID:0037601000
Type of record:Monument
Summary:Medieval hospital buildings used for the Royal Grammar School from the sixteenth to the nineteenth century.
Grid Reference:SU 87018 92830
Parish:

HIGH WYCOMBE, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire

Monument type(s)

  • SCHOOL (16th Century to 19th Century - 1500 AD to 1899 AD)

Associated finds: none recorded

Public access information

Is the site accessible to the public?No
Is the site visible from a public viewpoint?No

Full description

FREE SCHOOL SAID TO HAVE BEEN MADE OUT OF SOME PART OF THE HOSPITAL (B3).
1550 BUILDING CONVERTED INTO GRAMMAR SCHOOL & WHEN NEW SCHOOL WAS BUILT IN C19 ORIGINAL REMAINS CAREFULLY PRESERVED (B8).
In 1549, following the Dissolution of the Monasteries, the hospital was transferred to the Borough for £30 to become the town's Grammar School. In 1562 it received a royal charter and the school continued in its Norman building for just over 300 years. As the town expanded, the Royal Grammar School outgrew its ancient accommodation, and in 1883 it was replaced by a typicaly Victorian building [see CAS 0037601001].

Sources and further reading

<3>Bibliographic reference: LIPSCOMB 3 PP646-648.
<8>Bibliographic reference: RCHM BUCKS 1 P197.
<19>Bibliographic reference: Ivan G Sparkes. 1990. High Wycombe: A Pictorial History. Captions to Plates 28 and 29

Associated excavations and fieldwork

  • EBC13813: Site visit
  • EBC13831: Site visit by EH Field Monument Warden

Related monuments

Images

The remains of St John the Baptist Hospital, High Wycombe  © Buckinghamshire County CouncilThe remains of St John the Baptist Hospital, High Wycombe  © Buckinghamshire County CouncilThe remains of St John the Baptist Hospital, High Wycombe  © Buckinghamshire County CouncilThe remains of St John the Baptist Hospital, High Wycombe  © Buckinghamshire County CouncilSt John's Hospital, High Wycombe  © Buckinghamshire County CouncilRemains of St John's hospital, High Wycombe  © Buckinghamshire County CouncilPossible layout plan of St John the Baptist's Hospital, High Wycombe, in the 13th century  © The Appleton GroupPlan of remaining structure of St John the Baptist's Hospital, High Wycombe  © Buckinghamshire County CouncilReconstruction of St John the Baptist's Hospital, High Wycombe, in the 13th century  © The Appleton Group12th century window, similar to ones in St John the Baptist's Hospital, High Wycombe  © The Appleton GroupThirteenth and fourteenth century windows, similar to ones that would have been in the chapel of St John the Baptist's Hospital, High Wycombe.  © The Appleton GroupDrawing of the Royal Grammar School, High Wycombe, in 1878, view showing the hall and chapel of St John the Baptist's Hospital  © Whiteman & BessService trench put in next to St John the Baptist's Hospital, High Wycombe  © Buckinghamshire County Council

Reports

No image caption available  © Buckinghamshire County Council

No image caption available © Buckinghamshire County Council