skip content
homepage
what's new
sitemap
search
frequently asked questions
help
complaints procedure
terms and conditions
feedback form
access key details


Record details

BCC record ID:0085101000
Type of record:Landscape
Summary:Eighteenth century landscape park and deer park at Chalfont Park House
Grid Reference:TQ 0082 8955
Parish:

CHALFONT ST. PETER, Chiltern, Buckinghamshire

Monument type(s)

  • DEER PARK (Last mentioned 1616 Medieval to 17th Century - 1066 AD to 1699 AD)
  • LANDSCAPE PARK (18th Century to 21st Century - 1760 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated finds: none recorded

Public access information

Is the site accessible to the public?No
Is the site visible from a public viewpoint?Yes

Full description

Chalfont park was created on part of an estate acquired from Henry II by his treasurer, Ranulf de Brito. It was occupied by Edmund Brudenell, and came to be known as Brudenells Manor. In 1760 General Charles Churchill, the owner, employed Capability Brown to create a formal park landscape. The house was brought by the Hibbert family in 1794. They employed Humphrey Repton to improve the 150 acres of enclosed land. The overall effect of the change was to widen the river Misbourne into a lake, introduce scenic planting, a boat house and an ice house. The house was further modified in 1836 by Anthony Salvin who laid out a cricket pitch. During the early 20th century, Gertrude Jekyll planned a garden alcove, a brick orangery and a wishing well (B8).

Sources and further reading

<8>Unpublished document: Nicky Smith (BCM). 1998. Smith N 1998 Historic Parks and Gardens Register Review.
<9>Unpublished document: Archaeological Services & Consultancy Ltd. 2001. Chilterns Chalk Streams Project: Chess & Misbourne Valleys - Archaeological Assessment.
<10>Unpublished document: Greater London Council. 1977. The Archaeology of the Colne Valley Park.

Associated excavations and fieldwork: none recorded

Related monuments

Reports

No image caption available  © Buckinghamshire County Council

No image caption available © Buckinghamshire County Council