skip content
homepage
what's new
sitemap
search
frequently asked questions
help
complaints procedure
terms and conditions
feedback form
access key details


Record details

BCC record ID:0422702000
Type of record:Building
Summary:Late seventeenth or eighteenth century stables and hayloft to rear of the Kings Arms.
Grid Reference:SU 95675 97296
Parish:

AMERSHAM, Chiltern, Buckinghamshire

Monument type(s)

  • (Former) STABLE (17th Century to 18th Century - 1600 AD? to 1799 AD?)
  • OUTBUILDING (17th Century to Modern - 1600 AD? to 1999 AD?)
  • (Former) HAYLOFT (17th Century to 18th Century - 1600 AD? to 1799 AD?)

Associated finds: none recorded

Public access information

Is the site accessible to the public?No
Is the site visible from a public viewpoint?Yes

Full description

The Harness Room is two-storied and located between the timber framed cross-wing and 20th century garages. The irregular form of the roof trusses and pattern of sooting suggests that the Harness Room is built from re-used timbers during the late 17th or 18th century. All the brick bonds noted were in use in the 18th century. The front elevation suggests the structure was used as a stable with hayloft above (B6).
Consultants report concluding dating evidence is ambiguous (B11).

Sources and further reading

<6>Unpublished document: Thames Valley Archaeological Services. 2001. The Kings Arms, High St.,Old Amersham.
<7>Unpublished document: Thames Valley Archaeological Services. 2001. The Kings Arms, High St., Old Amersham: An Archaeological Evaluation.
<8>Unpublished document: Thames Valley Archaeological Services. 2000. The Kings Arms, High St., Old Amersham, Bucks..
<11>Unpublished document: The Archaeological Consultancy. 2006. A Conservation of Buildings Research Analysis: The Building to the rear of the Kings Arms, Amersham.

Associated excavations and fieldwork

  • EBC16277: Evaluation trial trenching and building recording (Ref: KAA 00/60)

Related monuments

Reports

No image caption available  © Buckinghamshire County Council

No image caption available © Buckinghamshire County Council